so, Rachel of A Little Bit Vintage gave me an award! i am thrilled and honored!
thank you, Rachel!
one of the rules of this award is to share 7 things about me that you may not know. and because it is a rainy Fall day and the week of Halloween, i'm going to go for a bit of a theme here...
1. when I was in kindergarten, my mom made me a "sack of potatoes" costume for my class Halloween party...no joke. the costume featured an actual burlap potato sack, that i wore like a dress, and had "potatoes" (made of brown panty hose and cotton stuffing) sewn at the top around my neck. i even wore a piece of panty hose over my face so that my head was the biggest potato in the sack! i definitely stood out amongst the witches and vampires of my class!!
2. in seventh grade I memorized "The Raven" by Edgar Allan Poe in its entirety and recited it in front of my class. it was not a requirement and i was the only one in my class to do so, though i did get a trophy for it. i guess i have just always had a thing for Edgar (yes, we're on a first name basis). he had such a sad life, but what an artist!
3. a couple of years ago in October, our tv started randomly changing channels. it did it at least once a day for a couple of weeks, and then stopped on November 1st. at first i thought my husband was playing tricks on me from another room, but then it happened when he wasn't home. it was the freakiest thing i've ever experienced. we never did figure out what caused it and it hasn't happened since.
4. "The Village" is one of my very favorite movies. i love the autumnal setting and the creepiness ot it!!
5. i have never gone trick-or-treating. it's true! my family has never celebrated Halloween (beyond school parties and such), but don't worry, i got PLENTY of candy anyway!!
6. it was not an unusual thing to have bats get in the house while i was growing up...old house, old windows. it was always such a family ordeal when it happened that the memories i have are quite fond. and it probably helps that i like bats. the rest of my family is pretty much terrified of them.
7. i listen to George Winston's album "Autumn" every Fall (makes sense, right?). whenever i happen to hear a song from it, even if it is Spring, Summer, or Winter, i think of rainy nights and pumpkin candles. in fact, i'm listening to it right now.
and now i am supposed to pass this award on to 7 blogs, but i always have a hard time choosing. there are so many amazing blogs out there, and i'm so afraid to leave anyone out! i guess i'm just reliving the nightmare of always being picked last in gym class, and i don't want to do the blogging equivalent to someone else! i think all blogs are deserving because of the time and creativity put into each one, whether large or small, so please forgive me for skipping this part!
but i am going to ask that you DO leave a comment and share your favorite spooky, Halloween, or Fall memory!